Life is an adventure: MNatti in NZ

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ah Taupo, how I love thee, let me count the ways....... Ok, so the move went of with out a hitch. My final day at Guardian Tree was spent abseiling off the side of a 100 foot grain sylo, as a training excercise to teach the boys how to set up top ropes, learn various rappelling techniques, practice aerial rescues and generally have a "play day." That evening Clay and I threw a "thatnk god we're getting rid of Natti" party. We cooked meat on the grill, drank oodles of beer and had a few rather epic jam sessions with the didge, drums and a few guitars. I got to bed about 2:30 in the morning! I must say.... it was a great distraction for me as that my ladyfriend left that Thursday for a week in Figi and then back to her home in So. Cal. I was pretty sad about the fact that I wasn'g going to see her again until July (hopefully). It was a great relationship, while it lasted and I think we are both pretty happy with the way it all went.
Anyways, that Saturday I finished packing up the work van (her final voyage as a climber mobile), slightly hung over but with the exitement of the move pushing me on. We actually managed to hit the road by 10:30 AM.... which was a meer half hour later than we had originally planned to bail.
We arrived at the new flat just after lunch. It is a pit. A glorious, rundown little hole in the ground.... but it is mine all mine and for the price, how can I complain. Despite looking a bit haggered, it suits me just fine. It is a 2 minute walk to the lake and a 10 minute walk to town. The yard is actually fairly big and altough it needs a good raking.... it is landscaped quite nicely.
We did a power unload and decided that the weather was too nice and that a climb at "our" crag was in order. On the way to the cliff, we stopped off at the local climbing shop to grab a few odds and ends and meet the local vendor. He said something to the effect of "So YOUR Matt Natti.... heard a lot about you. Really glad to have you up here, love all the development you've been doing. Hey, the store is starting a bolting fund for you..... if your heading to the cliff now, do you need a few bolts? They're on the house.
Ok, so that was cool. We got in a great day on the rock. That night we had a proper "climber" house warming... we drank beer and watched climbing videos and talked about epics we've had on the rocks. Sunday I did a bit of "neccesity shopping," and we headed back to the cliff. The fella from the climbing shop was out climbing for the day and let me know that the "store" had just purchased 200 new bolts.... that were being made availible (free) to me and the development crew.... to assist in improving the local climbing scene. WHAT!?! Day 2 and I get a new sponsorship.... not to shabby.
Monday, my mate Ryan and I planned to head out to Reperoa again (check out the guide if you want... its on www.freeclimb.co.nz under central north island), but we hit a detor and were forced to drive down a different road than usual.... which lead to the discovery of 2 new cliffs!!! I can see that I'm going to be a busy boy up here! It's a tough job.... but SOMEONE has to do it.
On that note, I started the new job that tuesday. It is ok. Just ok for now.... but hopefully I can work some magic and get these guys up to speed. As with any tree company, sometimes you need to do uninspiring jobs sometimes, so hopefully I just came in on an off week. So far we've done a transplating job, a few hedges and a few small removals. Not bad work, but not quite as inspiring as I could hope for.
Ok... y'all are probably falling asleep or seeing cross-eyed by now. That's the news. Happy Thanksgiving to the hometown crew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home