Life is an adventure: MNatti in NZ

Monday, April 14, 2008

So I usually post up once a month... but last weekend was totally awesome, so I figured I'd share it with you. The tree company I work for (Plateau Tree Service) decided to take off early last Friday morning for a road trip. We all piled in cars and drove out to Gisborne, which is on the upper east coast of the North Island. The reason? One of the best Arboretums (tree collection) in the NI! Although it was more than a 4 hour drive, it was totally worth it (especially as that I was still getting paid for the day!). The trees were magnificent. The collection was originally established over 80 years ago, so there were plenty of big, old trees to look at. Best of all, it is autum here, so all the various maples, oaks and beeches they had were in full color. I'll happily admit that it made me a bit MORE homesick, seeing all the fall colors on trees that I've grown up with.
We spent the night at the arboretum in a very nice lodge on the property (though I slept outside as that the night was perfect and the boys were a bit drunk!). Just outside the lodge was a MASSIVE old oak, so we (being tree guys) set up a giant rope swing and took turns jumping off the roof of the lodge (between beers!) and swinging out a good 40 feet (wearing our harnesses of course)! In the morning we walked around a bit more and then packed up, after a mean fried breakfast.
Half of the crew had "stuff" to do Saturday evening, but the rest of us decided to take the LONG way back to Taupo. We decided to drive the East Pacific Coast highway up and around the whole East coast. It was beautiful! Big sea cliffs, cool ocean views, neat trees, heaps of little hick towns (there was even a town called Hick's Bay!!!) and loads of cool trees. As it got dark, we decided we would just spend the night in Whakatanae (a cool little town know for it's great surfing), rather than head back to Taupo.
I will openly admit... I got a bit drunk that night... but damm I had a good time! We bounced around from pub to pub and the whole time I was carrying around my didgeridoo (yes, I bring it everywhere!). I got heaps of people exited about didges and while I was playing my heart out for them, managed to get 5 drinks bought for me! Not to shabby.
Anyways, the following morning (Sunday) we headed back home (I slept most of the way!) and had a MEAN breakfast, complete with a vitamin packed Bloody Marry, when we hit Taupo. I'm not usually one for the old "hair of the dog," but DAMM it hit the spot. The rest of the day I pretty much did NOTHING. Normally, that would be bad, but I can't honestly remember the last time I just did nothing for a day..... it actually felt really good.
So that's it. No more to report. Have a great week!

1 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger bicyclemacgyver said...

Well sounds like your weekend was much more exciting than mine, so I forgive you for forgetting something that important day.

But its all good mate. Glad your playing the didge a lot and getting drinks for it.

I got so drunk I prayed to the porcelain god on Thursday night, but ut was good cause I got to see Nick and Kate and a bunch of other friends. Wish you could of been there to have a drink with, but all good. We will drink plenty together soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home