Life is an adventure: MNatti in NZ

Thursday, March 12, 2009

We made it back to the North Island safe and sound. Wellington was fun... I got to catch up with a few old friends and do a bit of climbing at the local gym. I also spent a good day wandering around the capitol city and just seeing the sights. After 2 days there... I headed up to good old palmerston North, my first home here in NZ. Wow, it's really boring here!
Over the past weekend (before I got up here), there was a terrible accident at "Freshers." This is the Massey University Alpine Clubs "getting to know you" event, held out in the Manawatu Gorge. The day usually involves a BBQ, music, rock climbing, a bit of paddling/ swimming and the highlight.. the bridge swing. This is run by a long time supporter of the club who owns the local climbing gym as well as running various outdoor oriented activities. he has thrown well over 10,000 people off this bridge. Sadly, this weekend was his (and the club's) worst nightmare come to fruition... something went wrong and a young girl fell to her death.
as a friend, I've stuck around a bit longer to try and help where ever I can. Alister, the man in charge, is devistated and although he has seen a HUGE outpour of support from the community... I wanted to do my bit as well as that I consider him to be a true friend. After a long sit down together, he seems to be doing ok... but I suppose in the light of what happened, ok is actually really good. I am meeting up with a huge group of club members tonite (both old and new) to catch up and have a bit of a bonding session with everyone.
Besides that bit of bad news... all is well. I'm off to taupo tomorrow to meet up with the old crew up there and do a bit more climbing and developing. I can't beleive I've only got 2 weeks left here! Although I knew 3 months wasn't really that long... it flew by WAY faster than I could have imagined. i do, however, look foreward to heading home and starting the next chapter of my life. I'm building a house in gloucester. I hope to buy Cape Ann Tree Service. It seems, it is time to grow up a bit and embrace responsibility. rest assured... I'm still Matt Natti. The adventures will never stop, they'll just have to slow down for a bit. There is always time for a quick boulder problem or a short walk in the woods. Life is too short to not savor it when ever possible.

Luvs you all for continuing to read this hippy rubbish! Keep living the dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home