Life is an adventure: MNatti in NZ

Monday, June 19, 2006

Ow! Ok, so climbing has been on hold for the past week or two now. So far I have managed to bung up BOTH hands, and hence have needed to cut back my recreational climbing in favor of that which I can actually get PAID for. Unfortunately it has boiled down to either, or.
The first "ouch" was when my left, middle finger was stuck in a small hold on the MUAC climbing wall and my foot slipped. This left nothing but 1 finger trying to hold all my weight. Nope. That one has been getting a brace (popsicle stick and black duct tape) for all daytime activites to remind me not to use it. Sure, it makes starting my chain saw a bit awkward, but it is doable.
The second "ouch" was more of a "F#*%!!! Sh*$!!! etc. etc." than a "ow." It involved my right hand thumb and a car door. Sure, their are worse accidents that can happen involving cars... but a squished thumb is still a real bugger! The best part about this event was, by far, the doctor visit.
Receptionist- "Hello, what could I do for y.... Oh, that looks like it hurts! Sit over there and we will get a doctor as soon as possible"
Doctor- "Hello Mr. Natti, I hear you had an acci.... eew. I'll be right back." Pause "I'm a bit busy right now, but my nurse should be more than capable of dealing with the problem. You have a hematoma under the nail and we simply need to releive the pressure by poking several small drain holes in the nail. We can numb you up and then use this special tool.... here Nurse Pain.... he's all yours."
Nurse Pain- "Boy, thank god he left, doctors always complicate things."
Me- "Hey, what's with the lighter and the saftey pinnnaaaaaaahhhhhh!"

So that was the adventure. Since then I have also managed to poke myself with a few good thorns at work as well, but by this point I've more or less given up on my poor hands ever being fully whole again anyways!

I'm heading to the climbing gym now anyways... gonna try to just use my teeth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home